Tonight is your last chance to win a fat slice of the €2.408 Billion jackpot on the Spanish Christmas Lottery “El Gordo de Navidad”. Here is the ultimate guide to everything you need to know about this lotto.
What is El Gordo?
El Gordo de Navidad, or the Spanish Christmas Lottery, is the biggest lottery draw in the world, with the 2020 prize fund currently set at 2.408 Billion Euros. A long-time Spanish Christmas tradition, El Gordo is one of the oldest lotteries still in existence, first starting in 1812 in the coastal city of Cádiz, before moving to Madrid after the Spanish War of Independence in 1814.
When is El Gordo?
El Gordo is drawn on Tuesday(Tomorrow!) 22nd December, just in time for Christmas. Don’t miss out! Be sure to buy your tickets with All The Best Lottos while you do your online Xmas shopping!
Fun Fact! El Gordo de Navidad is one of the few lotteries not to be held at night! Instead, this lottery takes place starting at nine in the morning (9 am) CET time.
How do I play El Gordo?
El Gordo de Navidad or the Spanish Christmas Lottery is run on a traditional raffle system. To play, simply choose the number of tickets you want and receive each individual ticket with a 5-digit number. That number is your ticket for the raffle, it’s that easy!
How many tickets are there for El Gordo this year?
172 tickets of each raffle number have been issued for the 2020 El Gordo Christmas Lottery Draw, so, as each ticket consists of ten tenths, for each raffle number there are 1,720 tenths.
How much can I win on El Gordo?
The El Gordo de Navidad 2020 prize fund is set at 2.408 Billion Euros. The Spanish Christmas Lottery prizes are announced starting from the smallest prize and leading up to the jackpot. There is a 5.3% chance of winning higher prizes. This means more than 10% of all tickets win a prize, a significantly higher winning rate than other lotteries. Chances of winning the El Gordo jackpot are 1 in 100,000.
- €4 Million (El Gordo) per raffle ticket
- €1.25 Million (Second prize) per raffle ticket
- €500,000 (Third prize) per raffle ticket
- €200,000 (Fourth prize) per raffle ticket. This prize is drawn twice!
- €60,000 (Fifth prize) per raffle ticket. This prize is drawn 8 times!
- €1,000 (La Pedrea – The Pebble prize) per raffle ticket. This prize is drawn 1,794 times!
5 Festive Facts about El Gordo de Navidad
- EL Gordo is the second-longest-running lottery in the world!
- School children sing the winning raffle numbers live on Spanish TV and Youtube!
- In Spain, raffle tickets are often bought and given as Christmas presents for friends, family and neighbours!
- In 2005, the town of Vic in Northern Spain won €500 million in prizes, shared within a town of only 37,825 residents.
- About 20% of Spanish Christmas Lottery players are non-residents! The biggest non-Spanish countries set to play in 2020 are: Mexico (average spend €153), Switzerland (€87), Venezuela (€73), Russia (€67), Germany (€65) France (€62) and Britain (€53).
Other Spanish lotteries
Don’t forget to try your luck before time runs out on the El Gordo draw Tuesday 22nd December 2020.